- Where to find the Best Alcohol Addiction Treatment Centers in California?
- Rehab Treatment Facility in Orange County
- Where Can I Find Medical Detox Centers in California?
- Does My Insurance Cover Treatment in California?
- Why Choose American Addiction Centers?
- State-Funded Insurance (i.e. Medicaid)
- California Packing List
- California Alcohol Use Statistics
- Finding Alcohol Rehab in a Different State
Where to find the Best Alcohol Addiction Treatment Centers in California?
If you or your loved one is struggling with alcoholism, you may wonder where to find a top rehab treatment provider near you. Luckily, if you are seeking help in or near California, there are 1,311 inpatient and outpatient rehab centers available statewide that treat substance addictions of any kind and 895 specifically-designated to support with the recovery from alcohol addiction.1
Of those, 921 are outpatient facilities, 490 are residential (non-hospital), and 29 are inpatient treatment centers.1 A majority of these facilities are located in Southern California and in larger cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego.
Rehab Treatment Facility in Orange County
A part of the American Addiction Centers (AAC) portfolio of facilities, Laguna Treatment Hospital is Orange County’s first chemical dependency recovery hospital providing research-based clinical and support services for those suffering with drug and/or alcohol addiction. Set amongst the backdrop of one of SoCal’s most scenic cities, the hospital is known for its therapeutic setting, which is ideal for helping patients get on the path to recovery.
Laguna provides all levels of care from medical detox to intensive outpatient treatment with a staff of more than 70 addiction professionals, registered nurses, licensed marriage and family therapists, and a recreational therapist.
Laguna remains open and committed to serving the millions of individuals struggling with addiction, while enforcing safety and prevention as a top priority in regard to COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus). Amidst the global health crisis, Laguna is strictly following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and World Health Organization’s recommendations and taking as many proactive actions as possible to protect our current and future patients and staff.
Call our hotline number any time at 1-888-685-5770 or get a text to have your questions about addiction treatment answered. We understand that those struggling with substance use disorders are at high risk of both COVID-19 and the dangerous effects of substance use. More than ever, we are equipped and proud to serve our patients.
To find other programs in the state, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) offers a full list of California rehabilitation facilities, which can be found here.
Where Can I Find Medical Detox Centers in California?
In California, there are 207 outpatient detox centers, 197 residential (non-hospital), and 28 inpatient rehab facilities.1 Depending on the magnitude of physical dependence, alcohol withdrawal syndrome may range from mild to physically dangerous. Symptoms may include irritability, anxiety, agitation, high blood pressure, increased heart rate, seizures and in rarer cases, delirium tremens.2
Alcohol withdrawal may be dangerous when done on your own; because of this, a supervised, medical detox center can help avoid unnecessary discomfort or life-threatening withdrawal complications. Detox is the process of getting substances out of your body and helping you manage acute withdrawal symptoms from alcohol.3 These types of programs provide individuals with onsite physicians and 24-hour care to help gain management over alcohol withdrawal symptoms.3
To find local detox facilities in California, search SAMHSA’s directory which can be found here.
Does My Insurance Cover Treatment in California?
Many insurance plans provide coverage for addiction treatment, and if you are planning to use your out-of-state insurance provider in California, it is important to know if your provider is accepted in the state and what it will cover. The most popular providers include:
You can fill out the free and confidential form below to see if your insurance covers substance abuse treatment:
Why Choose American Addiction Centers?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) offers a nationwide network of rehabilitation facilities with a range of substance abuse treatment programs, an alumni support system, quality care, and a 90-day promise. We’re committed to your recovery. When you invest and successfully complete 90 consecutive days at an American Addiction Centers facility, we believe that you have created the most solid foundation for your long-term goals of sobriety. In the event that you experience a relapse, you are welcome back for a complimentary 30 days of our treatment. This is our promise to you.
State-Funded Insurance (i.e. Medicaid)
Medicaid is healthcare coverage provided by the federal government, which covers around 72 million people.4 Medicaid covers adults who meet low-income requirements, as well as people with certain disabilities, the elderly, and children who meet the income criteria. While the government funds Medicaid, each state is responsible for administering the program within the state.4
You may be eligible for California’s Medicaid program, called Medi-Cal. Even if you have been turned down in years past for coverage, it’s a good idea to check your eligibility again. With the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, many of the rules around income levels and assets—such as owning a car—have changed, and more people can now get Medi-Cal coverage. Not all facilities accept Medicaid in California, however, 461 treatment centers (roughly 35% of facilities in California) do allow it as a payment option. 1
Check your eligibility here.
California Packing List
If you are considering getting alcohol addiction treatment in California and are coming from another part of the country, you may not be familiar with what items to pack for the climate. Many people think of beaches and surfing when they picture California and think that you can go without a jacket year-round.
However, be aware that the Los Angeles area averages 51 degrees in January and February, and nightly temperatures in the high 50s even in May. Furthermore, even Northern California can be colder than you might expect, with San Francisco averaging a high of 67 and a low of 54 in July. When coming to California, it is a good idea to pack:
- A lightweight jacket or sweater for the spring and summer.
- A heavier jacket for fall and winter.
- Closed-toed shoes for the cooler seasons, as well as at night.
- Sandals or flip-flops for warmer weather.
- Shorts and jeans.
- Athletic attire.
- Warm socks.
California Alcohol Use Statistics
- There were 10,874 motor vehicle fatalities involving drivers with BACs of .08 g/dL or higher; totaling 29% of all 2017 traffic fatalities.5
- Every 48 minutes in 2017, an average of 1 alcohol-impaired-driving fatality occurred.5
- Alcoholism was more prevalent in Californians than other types of substance use disorders in 2018.6
- In 2018, 6% of Californians met the criteria for dependence on alcohol, compared to 3% for illicit drugs. 6
- More than half of California students have consumed alcohol by the 11th grade.6
- Alcohol accounted for more nonfatal ER visits than all other drug diagnoses combined in 2018.6
Finding Alcohol Rehab in a Different State
If you or a loved one want to attend an alcohol rehab program outside of California, there are many other options in states around the country.
Find Treatment Near Me
Other Ways to Get Help
In addition to finding treatment facilities, there are additional ways to get help or find support if you’re struggling with alcohol addiction, including:
- Alcoholics Anonymous is a community-based program that was created to help those struggling with problematic drinking get sober with the support of their peers.
- The California Department of Healthcare Services offers a listing of all non-medical detox programs licensed by the State of California.
- County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health offers a searchable database of providers.
- San Francisco Department of Public Health offers resources for substance abuse.
- Central City Recovery in Los Angeles offers low-cost treatment to adults for 30 to 60 days. Treatment is provided on a sliding fee scale, but no one is turned away for inability to pay.
- Social Model Recovery Systems offers numerous programs throughout the Los Angeles area for adolescents and adults at low cost, based on a sliding scale fee of what you can afford to pay.
- California Department of Health Services, which gives a listing of each county’s substance abuse services for adolescents.
- The California Department of Public Health offers a LGBT specific database for locating referrals of all types, including substance abuse.
. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2017). 2017 State Profile — California, National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services.
. MedlinePlus. (2019). Alcohol Withdrawal.
. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2006). Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment.
. Medicaid. (n.d.). Eligibility.
. NHTSA’s National Center for Statistics and Analysis. (2018). Alcohol-Impaired Driving.
. California Health Care Foundation. (2018). California Health Care Almanac.