- What Is Kaiser Permanente?
- Who Takes Kaiser Permanente Insurance?
- Will insurance pay for treatment?
- Kaiser Permanente Plans and Coverage Levels
- Does Kaiser Permanente Cover Alcohol Rehab?
- How to Check My Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance Coverage
- Kaiser Permanente Out-of-Pocket Costs
- Verify Your Kaiser Permanente Coverage for Alcohol Rehab
What Is Kaiser Permanente?
Kaiser Permanente, one of the leading healthcare providers and nonprofit health plans in the United States, provides an array of solutions aimed at improving physical and behavioral health.1 Kaiser Permanente members receive healthcare guided by a team of Permanente Medical Group physicians, specialists, and caregivers. 1 These healthcare workers are supported by technological advances and tools for health solutions, disease prevention, state-of-the-art care delivery, and chronic disease management. 1
Who Takes Kaiser Permanente Insurance?
Founded in 1945, Kaiser currently serves 12.4 million members in 8 states plus the District of Columbia.1 Coverage areas are separated into regions as follows: 2
- Northern California.
- Southern California.
- Washington (central Washington, Eastern Washington, Coastal and Olympic Region, and Puget Sound).
- Colorado (Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Greeley, Loveland, and Pueblo.
- Georgia (Atlanta and Athens).
- Hawaii (Kauai, Hawaii, Maui, Oahu).
- Mid-Atlantic States (Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, northern Virginia, and suburban Maryland).
- Northwest (Portland, Eugene, and Salem, Oregon; Vancouver and Longview/Kelso, Washington).
How Do I Start Treatment?
Will insurance pay for treatment?
Find out now:
Kaiser Permanente Plans and Coverage Levels
You can choose from among five different types of insurance plans offered by Kaiser Permanente. These include: 3
- Individual and Family Plans: The individual plans have metal tiers such as Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Different deductibles apply to each, so make sure to discuss with a representative what your plan covers.
- Medicaid/Medi-Cal Plans: Kaiser works with Medicaid, a federal and state health program, to provide insurance to people with low income and limited resources. 4
- Medicare Plans: Kaiser’s Medicare plan offers Parts A, B, and D. 5
- Employer-Based Plans: This Kaiser Permanente plan is offered through employers. 3
- Small Business Plans: Owners of small businesses can provide insurance for their employees with Kaiser Permanente. 3
Does Kaiser Permanente Cover Alcohol Rehab?
Yes, Kaiser Permanente covers alcohol addiction treatment within all their healthcare plans sold in the Marketplace.6 As a member, you will have access to preventative resources, treatment for alcoholism, and aftercare services. Kaiser ensures individuals will have the tools necessary to transition back to their everyday lives once treatment is complete.6
Types of Kaiser Permanente Alcohol Treatment
Treatment for substance use disorders involves various levels of care such as outpatient, intensive outpatient, and inpatient. Sometimes individuals will move in between levels of care (step up or down to different levels) depending on their current needs.
Since coverage, plans, and conditions may change, it’s best to check with an insurance advisor for the full details. For example, one plan requires an out-of-pocket cost of $600/day up to 5 days, and then after that, there is no charge for inpatient treatment.7 For outpatient treatment, one plan requires the individual to pay $30 for each visit or $30 each day for services.7 Most plans also have a maximum out-of-pocket limit per year and often vary greatly, some with max limits of $5,000, $10,000 or greater.
Does Kaiser Permanente Have Mental Health Coverage?
Additionally, mental health disorders such as PTSD, anxiety and depression often co-occur with substance use disorders.8 Effective treatment suggests that addressing both the mental health and substance abuse issues together offers improved outcomes.
When seeking treatment for co-occurring conditions, check the specifics of your plan to see exactly how the charges will apply or speak with your insurance provider.
How to Check My Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance Coverage
If you want to check your Kaiser Permanente coverage, you’ll have to register for an online account first. To do so, follow these steps: 9
- Go to the Kaiser Permanente Registration website here.
- Select Create my Account.
- Fill out the information about yourself and select Continue.
- Be sure you have your medical record number available.
- Once you’ve finished and selected a user ID and password, you can return to the main website to sign in.
To find out the details about your coverage after you’ve signed in, follow these steps: 9
- Select Coverage & Costs from the options listed.
- Under the Plan Ahead option, select Eligibility and Benefits.
- Now, you can review your eligibility information and see your coverage effectiveness and termination dates.
Additionally, you can call the Kaiser authorization phone number on your card or fill out the verification form below. Alcohol.org is a subsidiary of American Addiction Centers (AAC), a nationwide provider of addiction treatment centers. Our free and confidential form will run your insurance to see if you qualify for addiction treatment at any of our facilities.Top of FormBottom of Form
Kaiser Permanente Out-of-Pocket Costs
In the instance that not all costs are covered, you may be required to pay a portion of treatment costs out-of-pocket. These costs can vary but some alcohol rehab centers may offer assistance in the following ways to cover payment:
- Payment plans: Some centers may offer payment plans in which the total cost is spread across a designated number of months and paid in regular payment installments. Be sure to ask about interest rates and the additional fine print of these plans.
- Sliding fee scale: Some programs may base costs off of an individual’s income by offering a sliding scale. That means, if you make less money, you will have lower costs.
- Scholarships: Some scholarships may be available to cover some or all of the cost of treatment.
You can discuss payment options with a rehab intake coordinator for further assistance or call AAC’s admissions counselors to discuss ways to pay for alcohol treatment.
Verify Your Kaiser Permanente Coverage for Alcohol Rehab
If you’re ready to seek treatment or want to discuss your options, you can easily verify your insurance below or call our admissions navigators at 1-888-685-5770 to learn more. We are available 24/7 to speak with you about treatment and all calls are 100% confidential. There is no obligation to make any decisions today; we’re here to provide support and guidance so that you have all the resources necessary to make the decision when you’re ready.
Looking for a Treatment Center?
We specialize in evidence-based addiction treatment.
. Kaiser Permanente. (N.D.). Who We Are.
. Kaiser Permanente. (2020). Fast Facts.
. Kaiser Permanente. (2021). Shop Kaiser Permanente Healthcare Plans.
. Kaiser Permanente. (2021). Learn about Your Medi-Cal/Medicaid Options.
. Kaiser Permanente. (2020). Medicare health plans.
. Kaiser Permanente. (2021). Addiction and Recovery.
. Kaiser Permanente. (2020). Summary of Benefits and Coverage.
. National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2020). Common Comorbidities with Substance Use Disorders Research Report.
. Kaiser Permanente. (2021). Understanding my coverage.